If you have been trained in First Aid and CPR, you will know how important these skills are when it counts. First aid in the workplace or the family home can also be tricky, so we have come up with some of the basics to get you out of trouble.
Here are our Top 5 Tips for First Aid
1. Tips for CPR
- Do not check a pulse for alive or dead, simply check breathing (if you drown, your pulse will continue for minutes).
- Move the patient onto a flat surface if possible.
- Check airway and breathing for 10 seconds.
- Use the compression only approach; if the patient is not breathing, call an ambulance and start compression at a rate of 120 per minutes. Continue until help arrives.
2. Tips for Cuts and Grazes
- Use direct pressure to stop the bleeding.
- If the bleeding continues after 10 minutes of pressure, seek additional medical attention.
- Clean the graze with saline or water, do not use alcohol wipes or soap in an open wound.
- Use a wound wipe like iodine to stop infection and dress with a non-stick dressing.
3. Tips for Burns
- When treating burns, start by cooling the burn with running water for up to 20 minutes.
- Don’t use ice or freezing cold water.
- If the burn blisters and breaks, use cling wrap to cover the burn (after cooling) and think about calling an ambulance on 000
4. Tips for Bee Stings
- Remove the stinger by scratching sideways over the skin.
- Apply a cold pack or cloth to reduce swelling.
- Use a cream or Stingoes as this can help minimise pain and itching.
- Check for allergic reactions.
5. Tips for Sprains and Strains
- Use the RICER approach:
- Rest the patient.
- Ice: use ice on the area for 20 minutes.
- Compression: apply pressure on the area with a compression bandage or cling wrap.
- Elevate the injured area.
- Refer the patient to medical help if the injured area continues to hurt after 60 minutes.
Having the right first aid training and first aid kits are important and here at First Aid Accident & Emergency we have fun, interactive and professional first aid courses.
If you require workplace or sporting club Defibrillators and First Aid kits, visit our extensive first aid store here.
Need to train your team? We offer group discounts and come to your location. Contact us for more information.